Instruction by Bonnie
- A strong focus on Color and Color Systems
- Mix and Match topics, tailored for the needs and interest of the individual or group
- Weaving and Weaving Related Workshops for all levels (Zoom workshops available)
- Some travel to teach at Guilds and Conferences
- One-on-one distance learning available
- Internship and apprenticeship opportunities
Guild and Conference Workshops
Bonnie Tarses has been teaching workshops and seminars around the US and Canada since 1993. With her amazing mastery of color blending and delightful sense of humor, Bonnie receives rave reviews. Her wide variety of workshops are geared to all skill levels, plus weaving related workshops for the non-weaver as well. Workshops now also available virtually via Zoom.
Color Focused Workshops
Three Workshops in One: Color Horoscope Weaving, Woven Words, Almost Ikat
Come join in the discovery of 3 unique methods of color blending developed by Bonnie over the past 4 decades as demonstrated in a spectacular array of examples. Students will use Color Horoscope Weaving as their primary focus, which means they will arrive at the workshop with their loom warped and ready to weave with a personal Color Horoscope.
Be advised that this workshop begins at home at least one month (hopefully two) before the conference with one on one email instruction for setting up an individual unique warp. During the workshop, students get a taste of Woven Words and Almost Ikat providing inspiration and ideas that will last for years.
Required level of student expertise: Student must either be able to warp their loom at home or have someone help them.
Materials fee: $55
Provided for students:
- A personal winding draft based on birthdate, time of day and place of birth.
- Instruction on how to select yarn and how to interpret the draft and wind the warp.
- Handouts and materials for designing warps in Woven Words and Almost Ikat.
Students should bring:
- Portable warped loom (capable of weaving 16” with 400 heddles) plain weave.
- shuttles (and whatever weaving tools you require)
- both cloth and paper scissors
- pencil with good eraser.
- 4 hanks of cotton embroidery floss
Maximum participants: 15
Additional Student Requirement:
Each Color Horoscope student must contact Bonnie upon enrollment (firstname.lastname@example.org) and supply her with an accurate
1. Birth Date (month, day, year)
2. Time of Day (hour and minute)
3. Place (city/town, state/province, and country)
Bonnie will then create a personal winding draft based on this information. In addition, she will send instructions on how to select yarn and how to interpret the draft and wind the warp.
- The focus is entirely on color.
- Bonnie begins instruction via email 2 months before the scheduled workshop.
- Personal winding drafts are calculated and mailed out based on information provided by the student .
- Guidance in individual yarn selection provided via email.
- Warps wound and looms dressed in the comfort of your own studio prior to the workshop.
- Students arrive in class with looms warped and ready to weave.
- Weaving provides the backdrop for an array of unique color exercises.
- The number of students is limited only by the size of the room.
- Presented as a 1-day, 2-day or 3-day workshop, your choice. Instruction on Almost Ikat included in 2-day workshop, and Woven Words included in 3-day workshop.
Supply fee: $35 includes personal horoscope and hand drawn winding draft. (Add $15 supply fee for Almost Ikat and $15 for Woven Words)
Supply fee: $0
Supply fee: $15 includes yarn, wrapping cards, and handout.
Students bring warped loom, 10/2 cotton, solid jewel-tone, 6″ wide x 3 yds.
“Weaving by its very nature is beautiful and what some call mistakes are really the marks of the weaver’s hand.”
Supplies: Warped loom, ready to weave: warp 3 yds. long and 6” wide of 10/2 cotton sett at 12 epi. Use darker jewel tones or a neutral (like black <grin>). Do not use white or a light color.
Bring all of the scrap yarn that you have—any weights, fibers, colors (some thrums perhaps, but mostly longer bits). I will be bringing lots of thrums. Here is the chance to share and get rid of that great yarn you’ve had for years and have never figured out what to do with.
Of course bring scissors, bobbins, shuttles and whatever weaving accessories you require.
Get Bonnie’s Newsletter
Zoom-Based Seminars and Workshops
$1000 workshop includes introductory lecture, 2 teaching sessions, a final show-and-tell session, and one-on-one Zoom support
Private Instruction via Zoom
$50 for 30 minutes
Limited availability – please inquire.
— Shelley Hamilton, Saskatchewan
—Sonnie Sperati, Delaware
— Sandy Buckworth, Delaware
—Karen Driscoll, California
—Susan von Sosten, Sacramento